Capital Celluloid 2015 - Day 328: Tue Nov 24

No1: Carol (Haynes, 2015): Picturehouse Central, 6pm


This is a special advance screening of Carol (being shown on on 35mm) plus a Todd Haynes director Q&A after the film.

Here (and above) is the trailer.

************************


No2: A Fistful of Fingers (Wright, 1995): Prince Charles Cinema, 6.30 & 8.30pm


A special 20th anniversary screening of Edgar Wright's lo-lo budget spoof western. Have a drink first.

Time Out review:
This is a homemade spaghetti Western (budget £10,000, cardboard horses and a handful of sixth-formers) which parodies itself along with the genre archetypes. The moving story of a bounty hunter's love for his murdered horse is a ragbag of the surreal, the satiric and the plain lame in the tradition of Hot Shots! Part Deux, with one Graham Low, a tour guide at Wookey Hole Caves, doing an uncanny impersonation of Eastwood's 'No Name'. Wright may not be in the class of Robert (El Mariachi) Rodriguez, but he has talent. Best seen after a couple of beers.
Tom Charity


“On Friday the 24th of November in 1995, filmgoers wrapped up tight and lined the cold streets of Leicester Square to see a new and exciting Great British action film. It would go on to make 350 million dollars worldwide. But enough about Goldeneye. Just around the corner from the Odeon Leicester Square you could have found a 21-year-old me nervously introducing my debut feature that very night at the Prince Charles Cinema. 
My movie, shot on 16mm and 78 minutes in length, was ‘A Fistful Of Fingers’. At the time I was pretty broke and could barely afford my travelcard to get in. But I want to thank anyone that did choose my silly opus over James Bond that weekend as it truly gave me a break into this industry.
The film was warmly received by some (Time Out, The Evening Standard) and savaged by others (Empire, The Guardian), but I owe my career to these zero budget antics in the Somerset countryside.
That night I was so anxious about the opening night response that I decided to pace around the foyer instead of watching the movie. I started chatting up the usher, Donna, and we later went on a date to see the romantic comedy Seven. So imagine my delight when the Prince Charles Cinema contacted me about the idea of creating a 20th anniversary event in honour of me asking out Donna The Usher.
Please get down to the world famous PCC and see my debut feature ‘A Fistful Of Fingers’ on the big screen again. I truly believe that with your help we could still beat Goldeneye’s total box office."


Edgar Wright, 21st September 2015


Here (and above) is the opening.

No comments: